Carnegie Branch Library
Olde English Masonry just finished restoring the neoclassical Carnegie Branch Library, Boulder’s original public library. Masons tuckpointed and repaired the building’s exterior, crafted from sand-lime facing brick and limestone. They also rebuilt brick stair walls to match historic photos of the 1906 building, patterned after a Greek temple. The library, on the National Register of Historic Places, was constructed with money donated by steel magnate Andrew Carnegie. The project, owned by the City of Boulder, was funded in part by the Colorado Historic Fund. Marc Diament Architecture PC was the architect.
This project typifies our work in historic preservation, which comprises a significant portion of our business. Gary Holt, principal, is an Authorized JAHN Installer trained by Cathedral Stone Products. In 2004, we won Historic Boulder Inc.’s Award of Merit for restoring the bell tower of Hygeine United Methodist Church. Olde English Masonry is a member of the Rocky Mountain Masonry Institute and Historic Denver Inc.